Food safety policy doctoral candidate Ashley Chaifetz was surprised to find out her dog's food was recalled due to possible Salmonella contamination, but she learned some valuable lessons from the experience. Salmonella in dog food last year sickened 22 people while contaminated pet food caused illness in 79 people from 2006 to 2008. Chaifetz notes that even partially used bags of food possibly contaminated with Salmonella should be discarded because the pathogen may be present in parts of the package. Proper hand-washing after handling pet food or pet feces is an important way to prevent human infections.
Published in Brief: