In the past few years, the AVMA has received reports of veterinary personnel becoming ill during the treatment of dogs that had ingested zinc phosphide rodenticide pellets; it is suspected that human exposure resulted from the release of phosphine gas into the examination rooms when the dogs were induced to vomit. Zinc phosphide is a common component of rodenticides for home and commercial use, and aluminum phosphide is commonly used in agriculture as an insecticide for the fumigation of grains and animal feed. Both products liberate phosphine gas, which is highly toxic to animals and people. The AVMA has gathered resources for veterinarians and pet owners on precautions to take to avoid becoming sickened by phosphine gas. View AVMA's resources on phosphine product precautions.
Published in Brief: