A 19-year-old college student was diagnosed with leptospirosis, a zoonotic bacterial disease transmitted via the urine of an infected animal, which he apparently contracted while snorkeling in Barbados. The student became severely ill after returning home from the trip. His history of cutting his elbow while snorkeling combined with reports of leptospirosis in Barbados led his U.S. doctors to suspect and treat him successfully for the disease. Lab tests later confirmed the diagnosis.
Published in Brief: