An Ohio woman suffered a case of Lyme disease after she brushed an unattached tick off her dog and awoke the next morning to find the tick embedded in her leg. Luckily for Sarah Landesman, her infection was caught early and cleared with antibiotics. Veterinarians urge owners to protect their dogs from ticks and other insects. "While virtually all infestations of parasites are preventable, estimates indicate that fewer than half the dogs in the country are protected," said veterinarian Chris Carpenter, executive director of the Companion Animal Parasite Council.
Published in Brief: