New Zealand veterinarian Kate Heller says she was out of conventional options and time to save a cat that had ingested rat poison, so she took an unorthodox approach and used dog blood for a transfusion. Because she was unable to determine the cat's blood type, Dr. Heller could not use cat blood -- using the wrong type would have sparked a fatal response. "If we didn't do it, he would have died, so we had nothing to lose by giving it a go," Dr. Heller said. An hour after the transfusion, the cat had made a remarkable recovery, Dr. Heller said.
Published in Brief: