Three people in the Netherlands were hospitalized -- two of them in intensive care -- for pneumonia after being infected with Chlamydia caviae from contact with guinea pigs, doctors reported in the New England Journal of Medicine. Lead author Bart Ramakers said veterinarians and physicians should be aware that the bacterium can be transmitted from animals to people and said it has also been detected in dogs, rabbits and horses.
3 severe pneumonia cases traced to bacterium from guinea pigs
Sign up for Animal Health SmartBrief
News for animal health professionals
Get the intelligence you need: news and information that is changing your industry today, hand-curated by our professional editors from thousands of sources and delivered straight to your inbox.