Shareholders in Lloyds TSB and HBOS took up less than 1% of the banks' £13 billion capital-raising effort, leaving the UK Treasury to pick up 99% of the newly issued stock. The development gives the government a 43.4% stake in the bank, once Lloyds' acquisition of HBOS is complete.

Related Summaries