Litter that makes its way into cages at the Oklahoma City Zoo has the potential to sicken and even kill animals, said veterinary services director Jennifer D'Agostino. Recently, an alligator at the zoo died from an infection caused by seven plastic water bottles the animal ingested. Other items found inside the zoo's alligators include coins, bottle caps and a shoe. "People will actually chuck coins right into their mouths. They don't have a spitting reflex like a mammal, so the next time they eat anything, they'll swallow them."