Record summer heat has raised the threat of illness from Cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae, in animals and people, and toxins from the algae have been responsible for the deaths of several dogs this summer, said Kansas State University veterinarian Larry Hollis. Animals that swim in lakes with this type of algae and then lick their coats afterward can start showing signs of illness after 30 minutes, including vomiting and diarrhea, and eventually develop liver failure.

Full Story:

Related Summaries