If your small business lost money this year or experienced a natural disaster, you may be able to take a Net Operating Loss and get money from previous years' tax refunds, writes tax pro Bonnie Lee. This also lets you carry the loss to the following year to lower taxable income. To file a NOL, use IRS Form 1045.

Related Summaries