7/26/2013

A 3-month-old calf pastured near a well-known Rhode Island ice cream shop bit a person and later died. A rabies test couldn't be done because the calf died three days before officials were notified. Many people may have been exposed to the calf, whose saliva could have transmitted the virus. Health officials are urging anyone who had contact with the calf to contact their local health department. The ice cream made from pasteurized milk that is sold at the shop is not considered a source of rabies exposure, according to Rhode Island state veterinarian Scott Marshall.

Related Summaries