7/31/2013

The U.S. is overlooking the advantages of trash-to-energy technologies in addressing waste issues, writes Dylan Scott. Industry groups and the Environmental Protection Agency are generally in favor of the practice, which can greatly reduce landfill use while providing energy benefits. "About 12 percent of U.S. waste is converted to energy through a chemical combustion process like the one on display inside the Covanta plant [in Alexandria, Va.}. By comparison, Germany converts 38 percent of its waste into energy and recycles the remaining 62 percent," Scott writes.

Full Story:
Governing.com

Related Summaries