Fish from San Francisco through the Pacific Northwest and up to Alaska may carry a fluke that contains Neorickettsia helmonthoeca, a rickettsial organism that can be deadly to dogs. Infection, known as salmon poisoning, occurs when the microorganism spreads throughout the dog's body after ingestion, causing necrosis, hemorrhage and hyperplasia, leading to gastrointestinal symptoms. Keeping dogs away from raw fish is the best prevention, but if a dog becomes ill, telling the veterinarian the dog may have ingested raw fish is important. Treatment is generally successful if started early enough.

Related Summaries