The Federal Emergency Management Agency needs up to two more years to conclude a study on the affordability of rates under the National Flood Insurance Program because of "the need to obtain data on policyholders and their incomes," said Craig Fugate, the agency's administrator. NFIP provides subsidies to about 20% of policyholders, Fugate said at a Senate hearing. "The remaining 80% of policyholders will not see increases as a result of this change, although it is possible that their rates will increase if, in the future, new maps reveal higher risk under the phase-out of grandfathered rates required by the legislation," he said.

Related Summaries