9/27/2013

Florida veterinarians are warning dog owners to be on the lookout for bufo toads, an invasive species that secretes potentially deadly, hallucinogenic toxins from glands on its head when attacked. If owners suspect their pet has licked, bitten or otherwise come into oral contact with a bufo toad, they should rinse their pet's mouth with water, preventing the water from entering the throat, and seek immediate veterinary care. People should also wash any toxin off the animal's paws or coat and should remove any toxin residue from their own hands.

Related Summaries