A viral Facebook post warning of the dangers associated with rawhide treats and chew toys is not entirely accurate, according to the AVMA. Rawhide and chew toys are generally safe but can cause intestinal distress or damage in dogs that eat them too quickly, and the effects of chemicals used to process the items have not been determined, the AVMA says, advising dog owners to ask a veterinarian about safe toys and treats for pets.
Sign up for Animal Health SmartBrief
News for animal health professionals
Get the intelligence you need: news and information that is changing your industry today, hand-curated by our professional editors from thousands of sources and delivered straight to your inbox.