A 68-year-old man who presented to physicians with bulbous, red lesions on his face and neck was diagnosed with glandular tularemia acquired from his outdoor cat, which died two days before the lesions arose, according to a case study in The New England Journal of Medicine. Tularemia is caused by the bacterium Francisella tularensis, and the cat may have picked up the pathogen from consumption of infected prey, later transmitting it to the man when he tried to administer medication.
Human case of glandular tularemia likely came from domestic cat
Sign up for Animal Health SmartBrief
News for animal health professionals
Get the intelligence you need: news and information that is changing your industry today, hand-curated by our professional editors from thousands of sources and delivered straight to your inbox.