Veterinarian Richard Maier provided initial treatment for a weak, dehydrated bald eagle that had been shot in the leg with a BB or pellet, then the bird was transferred to Blue Mountain Wildlife in Pendleton, Ore., where it was found to have extremely high levels of lead in its system. Facility director Lynn Tompkins said the eagle is undergoing treatment to remove the lead, but its eyesight might have been affected.
Veterinarians work to save injured, poisoned eagle
Sign up for Animal Health SmartBrief
News for animal health professionals
Get the intelligence you need: news and information that is changing your industry today, hand-curated by our professional editors from thousands of sources and delivered straight to your inbox.