The barbed seeds of foxtail plants can get embedded in pets' skin and travel through the body, causing infection that was ultimately lethal in the recent case of a young Norwegian elkhound poodle in Utah. "You need to keep checking your pet if you've been out where they are, and boy, they seem to be everywhere," said veterinarian Gary Peterson.
Small, spiked seed can cause big problems for pets
Sign up for Animal Health SmartBrief
News for animal health professionals
Get the intelligence you need: news and information that is changing your industry today, hand-curated by our professional editors from thousands of sources and delivered straight to your inbox.