The CDC linked 45 human salmonella infections in 13 states to pig-ear dog treats, and AVMA spokesman Michael San Filippo warns that even dogs with no signs of infection can shed the bacteria in their feces after eating infected treats. Experts say people should wear gloves when cleaning up after pets and wash their hands thoroughly afterward and after handling treats or food to mitigate risk of infection. Stores where positive samples were collected have pulled the treats from shelves, as has retailer Pet Supplies Plus, although its stores were not specifically linked to the outbreak.
AVMA: Even healthy looking pets can shed dangerous bacteria in feces
Sign up for Animal Health SmartBrief
News for animal health professionals
Get the intelligence you need: news and information that is changing your industry today, hand-curated by our professional editors from thousands of sources and delivered straight to your inbox.