Industry News
Financial Markets
Top stories summarized by our editors
8/6/2020

Springboard, an online learning startup that teaches students the skills they need to enter fields with high demand for workers, raised $31 million in its most recent funding round. With the new capital it plans to broaden the range of courses it offers and develop new tools to help its students get hired.

Full Story:
FinSMEs
More Summaries:
Springboard
8/6/2020

Zynga will take an 80% stake in the hyper-casual mobile games startup Rollic for $168 million. Zynga will buy the remaining 20% in stages at prices based upon profitability.

More Summaries:
Zynga
8/6/2020

Expert System, a startup that develops natural language processing technology, raised $29.4 million in its most recent funding round. The new capital will be used to develop new natural language processing tools and pick up the pace of growth in the US.

Full Story:
VentureBeat
8/6/2020

Infermedica, a Poland-based digital medical diagnostics startup, raised $10.25 million in a Series A funding round led by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. The new capital will be used for research and development and expansion into Germany and the US.

Full Story:
VentureBeat
8/6/2020

Krisp, a noise suppression startup that uses machine learning to make audio of the human voice sound clearer, raised $5 million in its Series A funding round. The new capital will fund expansion and diversification.

8/6/2020

Sight Diagnostics, an Israeli startup that developed a blood analysis machine that uses machine vision, raised $71 million in its Series D round. With the new capital in hand the company will focus on sales in the US.

More Summaries:
Sight Diagnostics
8/6/2020

The US economy will start growing again in this year's third quarter, but economic activity will not return to February's level until late 2021, said Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Richard Clarida. The coronavirus and efforts to fight it will continue to shape the economy's future, he said.

More Summaries:
Richard Clarida
8/6/2020

Differences have emerged in how US banks and the Federal Reserve accounted for operational risk during the 2020 Dodd-Frank Act Stress Tests, which resulted in large discrepancies in the results. The banks want the Fed to reveal how it makes its stress assumptions.

8/6/2020

Steven Peikin, joint chief of enforcement at the Securities and Exchange Commission, will leave the agency on Aug.14. Co-chief Stephanie Avakian will continue to run the SEC enforcement division.

8/6/2020

There is a risk that the completion of a successful coronavirus vaccine will spur a sell-off in fixed-income markets and end the rally in major technology companies, Goldman Sachs strategists say. An approved vaccine might "challenge market assumptions both about cyclicality and about eternally negative real rates," the strategists wrote.

Pages