Engineering
Top stories summarized by our editors
12/10/2019

Storm-inflicted erosion on the Del Mar bluffs in California is endangering a rail line, and transportation officials are calling for $5 million for emergency repairs. Workers will solidify the deteriorating cliff with a steel-reinforced concrete retaining wall while state officials look to accelerate $100 million worth of long-term protection.

12/10/2019

During a meeting in a Manistee County, Mich., a US Army Corps of Engineers hydraulic engineer explained the science behind erosion, and that a combination of highly variable water supplies and changing weather patterns have contributed to record water levels in the Great Lakes watershed. However, under public law 84-99, USACE does not have authority to address erosion issues, said Emergency Management Specialist Krystle Walker.

More Summaries:
USACE
12/10/2019

The federal government is planning to pass more authority to states to enforce laws protecting the environment, but the move comes as many states are cutting back on such efforts. Over the past decade, 30 states have cut funding for pollution control and 40 states have reduced environmental agency staffing, according to a report by the Environmental Integrity Project.

Full Story:
Reuters
12/10/2019

Researchers from the University of Texas at Austin, MIT, Akselos and Aurora Flight Sciences have developed a digital twin of a custom-built unmanned aerial vehicle. The digital twin integrates sensor data with a physics-based model to create reliable, real-time predictions of the structural health of the vehicle.

Full Story:
EeNews Europe Analog
More Summaries:
University of Texas
12/10/2019

Sheila Kennedy offers a look at some of the latest tools maintenance technicians are using to effectively test and maintain motors and drives. These tools can help companies lower operational costs and maximize the service life of critical assets, Kennedy writes.

Full Story:
Plant Services
More Summaries:
Sheila Kennedy
12/10/2019

Automated metrology is gaining traction in manufacturing as
modern systems offer optimal connectivity and only need a simple program modification to accommodate changes, Ken Myers writes. Manufacturers seeking to adopt automated metrology should consider trialing products and technologies in a controlled setting before transitioning them to the shop floor, he writes.

12/10/2019

People at companies who are resistant to change either don't understand what you want them to do, don't realize they have a role in the process or have been burned before, said Michelle Ledet Henley, president of TMG Frontline Solutions. Instead of winning over the 2% of people who can't be persuaded to change, reliability leaders should focus on the other 98% to get the job done, she said.

Full Story:
Plant Services online
12/10/2019

Different departments with competing interests can complicate management of a company's maintenance, repair and operations supply chain, Dan Brennan writes. Bridging the gap requires ongoing communication about part requirements and sourcing requests, he adds.

Full Story:
Reliable Plant
12/10/2019

The Cal State Fullerton chapter of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and other student organizations recently participated in the school's fourth annual STEM Expo, with Girl Scouts involved in a variety of interactive activities. The event also featured the Career Corner, in which female STEM professionals discussed career and educational opportunities to attendees and gave advice.

Full Story:
Patch
More Summaries:
SHPE
12/10/2019

Engineering work placements are often subject to social capital, financial status and other factors that can hamper some individuals, according to a study led by the University of Technology Sydney. "Women in non-traditional areas and students from non-English speaking backgrounds face systemic prejudices and detracting workplace cultures," said lead researcher Natalie Lloyd.

Full Story:
PhysOrg/News release