Advertising
Top stories summarized by our editors
2/26/2020

Goodby Silverstein & Partners and the Courageous Conversation Global Foundation have released a "Not A Gun" spot, which shows a black man buying a candy bar that inexplicably turns into a gun when handed to him at the cash register, reverting to the candy when he's stopped by police. Copy reads "A black person is three time more likely to be killed by police," before urging viewers to sign a petition to stop racial bias, and GS&P's Anthony O'Neill says, "As a black man, you often have to think twice about ordinary actions."

More Summaries:
Silverstein & Partners
2/26/2020

R/GA San Francisco has been chosen as Reddit's first agency of record, following a review, and will develop the social platform's first-ever branding campaign. "We needed to have a partner that we felt like we had good chemistry with and who really understood our platform," says Reddit's Roxy Young.

More Summaries:
Reddit
2/26/2020

Spanish-language media company Univision was acquired by private equity firm Searchlight Capital Partners and former Viacom executive Wade Davis after the two bought a 64% stake in the company. "I really look at Univision as the single most attractive asset in media today. Univision has a powerful and unique relationship with its audience," Davis says of the deal, which leaves a nearly 36% stake with Grupo Televisa of Mexico City.

2/26/2020

The Richards Group's multicultural agency Richards/Lerma is being rebranded as Lerma a decade after its founding. Pete Lerma and Stan Richards will remain partners, and the move represents "the agency's rich digital and creative roots, now with an even stronger focus on a more diverse, inclusive and technology savvy America," according to a statement from the agency.

2/26/2020

After early aspirations of being a police officer, Ozzie Areu's career took a turn when, while serving as security for Tyler Perry, the actor named him president of Tyler Perry Studios. After more than 10 years at the helm, he bought the studio and, along with other family members, made Areu Brothers the first Latino-owned TV and movie studio in the US.

Full Story:
Today
More Summaries:
Tyler Perry Studios, Tyler Perry
2/26/2020

Nutella celebrated Pancake Day with a campaign from Terri & Sandy that announced a pop-up on Feb. 29 and outdoor ads in New York City's Grand Central Station urging consumers to swap syrup for Nutella on their pancakes. Social content offers creative ideas for what consumers can do with their unwanted syrup and an Amazon Alexa skill offers recipes for pancakes and waffles that include Nutella.

More Summaries:
Terri
2/26/2020

Preacher's debut campaign for StreetEasy tells New Yorkers "It's Okay to Look" for their next apartment via out-of-home ads with art from Sam Spratt that feature copy such as, "Want a landlord that won't judge your domestic partners?" The push is running across taxi tops, kiosks, billboards and the subway, and spotlights that StreetEasy's listings are "vetted and verified across all five boroughs."

More Summaries:
StreetEasy
2/26/2020

PepsiCo is reaching out to Latinos in the US interested in soccer with a new social campaign, including the #PepsiCanBalance challenge, featuring the tagline, "Es Lo Que Quiero" ("That's What I Like"). "The can balance is hopefully, finger's crossed, that kind of sticky cultural bomb that will reach our multidimensional consumers wherever they are," says Esperanza Teasdale of PepsiCo.

2/26/2020

NBCUniversal is readying to launch One Platform, an ad tool that enables marketers to plan and purchase linear and digital ad space across all of its properties with guaranteed buys for broad reach, demographics, advanced target audiences and sponsorships and live events. NBCU is also expanding its CFlight cross-platform impression measurement system to include over-the-top co-viewing, out-of-home measurement and short-form videos.

2/26/2020

Anonymous media agency professionals share views about work-life balance, measurement problems and worsening payment terms from clients. "We had someone in one of our offices work so hard she had an aneurysm. That became a way of educating not only our own people but clients to take time away from work," says one media buyer, and another says of payment terms, "It's getting worse. ... You have to agree to the terms before you get to the RFP, assessment of skills or capabilities."