A new report from Nielsen outlining how the CPG industry will change immensely in the next five years made the top of the list in this week’s most-read news. Changes will include an increased focus on sustainability and "a new age of R&D focused less on product benefit and food science and more on leveraging digital, mobile and social technologies to enable desired consumer experiences," said Nielsen’s 2016 Breakthrough Innovation Report.
Other top news merged a major CPG company with a well-known fast-food chain as Burger King teaming up with PepsiCo's Frito-Lay to launch deep-fried macaroni and cheese sticks dubbed Mac 'n Cheetos caught readers’ attention.
Here’s the complete list of the top 10 most-read stories across SmartBrief Food and Beverage this past week:
- Nielsen: CPG industry to change dramatically in next 5 years
- Frito-Lay lends a brand to Burger King's new menu item
- Whole Foods' new retail concept wins fans right away
- Senate committee reaches agreement on national GMO labeling
- McDonald's CEO stresses a need for speed
- Nestle hires healthcare exec to succeed Bulcke as CEO
- Hain Celestial plans to acquire more RTD beverage brands, CEO says
- Chipotle hopes loyalty program heats up summer sales
- General Mills taps head of US retail as new president
- George Hamilton signs on as a Colonel for KFC
If you enjoyed this article, join SmartBrief's email list for more stories about the food and beverage industry. We offer 14 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food manufacturing.