The latest product launch from Hershey rose to the top of this week’s list of most-read food and beverage stories. SmartBrief readers were drawn to the news that the company is growing its snack portfolio with the debut of the Popwell line, featuring better-for-you popcorn snacks that Hershey brought to shelves just 10 months after conceptualizing them. In other new product news, Coca-Cola’s upcoming debut of Coca-Cola Zero Sugar in the US struck a chord with readers. The new soda line will replace the company’s Coke Zero brand, which the firm will phase out of its product lineup.
In grocery news, readers were interested in a story about Walmart’s plan to expand its Pickup Towers program to 100 locations in the US. The tower system, which gives shoppers access to their orders after they scan their receipts, launched last year and is currently in place at 20 Walmart locations.
Restaurant stories also ranked high with readers, who were interested in the news that Buffalo Wild Wings is aiming to appeal to millennial customers by developing its B-Dubs Express concept. These locations will feature counter service and an increased takeout focus, but will also have some seating. Restaurant readers were also fascinated by the news that McDonald’s will roll out its McDelivery Collection, featuring branded apparel for customers who utilize the UberEATS delivery app.
Check out the full list of this week's 10 most popular food and beverage stories from SmartBrief:
- Hershey expands snack line with Popwell launch
- Coca-Cola to phase out Coke Zero, replace it with Coca-Cola Zero Sugar
- Campbell Soup to launch Goldfish line aimed at older demographic
- Laguarta named president of PepsiCo
- Walmart's Pickup Towers expanding to 100 US stores
- Buffalo Wild Wings hopes new store type will win back millennials
- McDonald's makes a fashion statement
- Labor Department to repeal tip-pooling ban
- Welch's, DanoneWave, Smithfield Foods roll out new products
- Chefs create new takes on hash browns
If you enjoyed this article, join SmartBrief's email list for more stories about the food and beverage industry. We offer 20 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food manufacturing.