The news that Amazon expanded its plan to offer 10% discounts at Whole Foods Market to Prime members topped the list of most-read food and beverage stories this week. The company broadened the discounts to stores in 12 additional states, and hopes to offer the 10% off deal at all US stores by summer’s end. In other grocery retail news, Kroger’s plan to acquire meal-kit firm Home Chef also made the week’s top ten.
SmartBrief’s CPG readers were drawn to the news that PepsiCo plans to acquire snack food brand Bare Foods, which makes chips out of vegetables and fruits. Confection stories were also popular among readers, with news about new Oreo flavors and a revamped Butterfinger candy bar appealing to readers.
Restaurant readers were interested in a story about Chipotle’s plan to move its headquarters to Newport Beach, Calif., as well as the news that JAB will acquire restaurant chain Pret A Manger. Check out the full list of this week's 10 most popular food and beverage stories from SmartBrief:
- Amazon widens Whole Foods discount to Prime members
- Snack food startup Bare Foods to be bought by PepsiCo
- Oreo to roll out 6 new flavors
- Revamped Butterfinger to roll out by early 2019
- Spangler Candy acquires NECCO for $18.8M
- Chipotle's new CEO to move HQ from Denver to Calif.
- Panera parent JAB buys Pret A Manger
- Ferrara, Nestle USA combine sales teams
- Brandless sees "phenomenal" performance in food category
- Kroger set to acquire meal-kit leader Home Chef
If you enjoyed this article, join SmartBrief's email list for more stories about the food and beverage industry. We offer 20 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food manufacturing. And be sure to follow us on Twitter for the latest industry news.