Conagra, parent of packaged food brands including Healthy Choice and Marie Callender’s, signed a $10.9 billion deal this week to buy Pinnacle Foods, another conglomerate with a portfolio that boasts brands such as Duncan Hines and Birds Eye, and the news was the top-read story by SmartBrief’s food-and-beverage readers.
Packaged food companies and retailers came together in another popular story this week as well. Walmart, Kroger, Nestle and Tyson Foods are among the 10 major companies that teamed up to create an international blockchain system to ensure traceability of the foods they make and sell.
Restaurant stories also ranked high this week, starting with the news that Chick-fil-A had once again landed in first place on the American Customer Satisfaction Index. Cheesecake Factory’s plan to launch fine-casual concept Social Monk Asian Kitchen this fall also caught readers’ eyes.
Read the entire top 10:
- Conagra makes $10.9B deal to acquire Pinnacle Foods
- Keurig Dr Pepper names C-suite staff members
- Walmart, Kroger partner to create global blockchain
- Hain Celestial seeks new CEO
- Report: Chick-fil-A wins on consumer satisfaction
- Cheesecake Factory creates a fine-casual Asian concept
- Kraft Heinz, Tyson Foods execs share what they learn from startups
- Pastrami technique can flavor foods beyond beef
- General Mills, PepsiCo, Mars roll out new products
- Nestle debuts plant-based pizzas under Sweet Earth Foods label
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for Restaurant Smartbrief or GMA Smartbrief to get news like this in your inbox, or check out all of SmartBrief’s food and beverage newsletters as we offer more than 20 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food retail to food manufacturing. And be sure to follow us on Twitter for the latest industry news.