Top 10: Largest candy companies, Chuck E. Cheese’s new look, Kroger CEO’s predictions
Confectionery news dominated this week’s most-clicked stories among SmartBrief’s food and beverage readers, with news of the Top 100 candy companies in the world being named by Candy Industry coming in the top spot. Mars Wrigley, the Ferrero Group and Mondelez International dominated as the three biggest candy firms, respectively.
Also in confectionery news, readers were drawn to stories about Mars CEO Grant Reid’s vision to keep the company privately held forever, as well as new product arrivals in the form of Reese’s Extravaganza Bouquets for Valentine’s Day and Kellogg’s Peeps cereal.
Grocery readers were most interested in news about Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen’s predictions for the future of retail and UNFI Chairman and CEO Steve Spinner’s take on the success of the company’s $2.9 billion acquisition of SUPERVALU.
On the restaurant side, news of Chuck E. Cheese’s rebranding, including a new menu and interactive dance floor, made waves, along with a look at how elevated breakfast sandwiches are keeping things interesting on restaurant menus. Check out the full list of this week's 10 most popular food and beverage stories from SmartBrief:
1. Candy Industry releases list of Top 100 candy companies in the world
2. Mars CEO: "Our vision is to keep our privately held company forever"
3. Chuck E. Cheese shows off new look, live characters
4. Kroger CEO makes predictions for retail's future
5. Reese's Extravaganza Bouquet arrives for Valentine's Day
6. Kellogg brings Peeps cereal to store shelves
7. CEO: UNFI, SUPERVALU deal is set up for success
8. Elevated breakfast sandwiches wake up morning menus
9. NYC restaurants cut hours, staff due to minimum wage hike
10. Accenture Strategy highlights disruptive food trends
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for GMA SmartBrief or NCA SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox, or check out all of SmartBrief’s food and travel newsletters as we offer more than 30 newsletters covering the food and travel industries from restaurants, food retail and food manufacturing to business travel, the airline and hotel industries and gaming.