Top 10: Kroger’s new look, Shake Shack’s growth plans, Coca-Cola’s AHA rollout
Kroger unveiled a new logo, tagline and animated characters dubbed “Krojis” and the varied reactions from industry experts and graphic designers was SmartBrief’s most-clicked food-and-beverage story this week. "In today's world, if the creative isn't light-yourself-on-fire awesome, it's not going to break through," Amanda Rassi, Kroger's vice president of marketing, told Winsight Grocery Business.
Amazon’s plans for a new grocery concept also landed on this week’s most-read list. The new format, set to debut in Los Angeles next year, won’t compete with Whole Foods Market or Amazon Go stores, the company said.
Restaurant stories landed in several places on this week’s Top 10 list, starting with objections by Chicago eateries to a proposal that would eliminate the tip credit by 2023, a move the Illinois Restaurant Association estimates would raise labor costs 144% for employers of tipped employees.
A $380 million deal to take casual dining chain TGI Friday’s public also drew in readers this week, as did a story about Shake Shack’s plans to open up to 42 new company owned restaurants and 25 licensed locations in 2020.
Several CPG stories proved popular this week, including a study from snack food conglomerate Mondelez that found that half of consumers, and 70% of millennials, opt to eat snacks throughout the day instead of fewer, larger meals. The survey also found that 80% of respondents are seeking healthier snack options.
The launch of AHA sparkling water, Coca-Cola’s biggest new product line rollout since 2006, also made the list.
Read the entire Top 10:
- Industry experts react to Kroger's new look
- Minimum wage increases set for 24 states, D.C.
- Chicago eateries object to proposed tip credit changes
- Dean Foods files for bankruptcy
- Mondelez study: More than 50% prefer snacking to meals
- Amazon bringing new brick-and-mortar grocery concept to L.A.
- How C&S is investing in remote, distributed employees
- TGI Friday's to go public in $380M deal
- AHA brand is Coca-Cola's largest rollout in 13 years
- Shake Shack shares plans for 2020 growth
- The rise of natural winemaking means more accidentally vegan vintages
- How airlines, hotels are expanding business travel programs
- How ghost kitchens are changing the restaurant industry
Interested in aligning your brand alongside the hot topics of the year? Check out what SmartBrief's Food & Travel editors have identified as trending content topics for 2019 (download).
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for Restaurant Smartbrief to get news like this in your inbox, or check out all of SmartBrief’s food and travel newsletters as we offer more than 30 newsletters covering the food and travel industries from restaurants, food retail and food manufacturing to business travel, the airline and hotel industries and gaming.