Supermarket stories populated this week’s list of most popular food-and-beverage stories, starting with a report ranking the favorite grocers by state. Kroger lags only Walmart in a ranking of national supermarket retailers by sales, largely because it boasts a stable of popular regional banners including Ralphs, Harris Teeter and Fred Meyer.
Another Kroger story also resonated with readers this week – the company has official launched a plant-based meat experiment in partnership with the Plant Based Foods Association. Stories about Walmart’s online grocery leadership and plans for Amazon’s new Los Angeles supermarket also made the list this week.
CPG stories also rated with readers, starting with Danone’s announcement of a new president to lead its yogurt unit and plans for 2020 product launches. Pepsi’s plans for a coffee-infused cola and Coca-Cola’s plans for a subscription service test also proved popular.
In the restaurant arena, the parent of Peet’s and JDE announced a merger that would create a global coffee company that could compete with Starbucks.
Read the entire Top 10:
- What are the preferred supermarkets by state?
- Danone names yogurt unit president, reveals 2020 launches
- Kroger officially rolls out plant-based meat pilot
- Seafood pie is a hearty-yet-light dish for the holidays
- Study: Walmart stands out in online grocery shopping
- Peet's merges with JDE to form major global coffee company
- Amazon prepares new supermarket in L.A.
- Pepsi to debut coffee-infused cola in spring 2020
- Mondelez to debut smoothie for kids as first RTD product
- Coca-Cola to test subscription service in 2020
- Expanded plant-based options, elevated kids’ fare and alcohol-free beverages are on the menu for 2020
- Diet trends address consumers’ health, sustainability concerns
- Plant-based trends expand to the dessert menu
Interested in aligning your brand alongside the hot topics of the year? Check out what SmartBrief's Food & Travel editors have identified as trending content topics for 2019 (download).
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for Restaurant Smartbrief to get news like this in your inbox, or check out all of SmartBrief’s food and travel newsletters as we offer more than 30 newsletters covering the food and travel industries from restaurants, food retail and food manufacturing to business travel, the airline and hotel industries and gaming.