Top 10: Hershey keeps up with demand, McDonald’s and Beyond Meat expand plant-based options
News about Hershey was particularly interesting to SmartBrief’s food and beverage readers this week. The most-clicked list included CEO Michele Buck sharing how Hershey has kept up with consumer demand during the coronavirus pandemic as well as the consumer packaged goods company’s success in the convenience store channel via new product launches.
In other CPG news, this week’s No. 1 story was an interview with Nestle CEO Mark Schneider about how the food manufacturer has adapted its portfolio since the coronavirus crisis hit, especially Nestle’s focus on health and wellness offerings.
Readers continued to value stories from company executives with Beyond Meat CEO Ethan Brown’s comments about the brand’s production, retail and foodservice growth efforts receiving significant clicks. Brown also noted that Beyond had partnered with McDonald’s again on another plant-based meat offering for the fast food chain’s menu. The new burger will be part of McDonald’s new McPlant products to be tested in international markets next year, which also made this week’s story ranking.
With the winter holiday season quickly approaching, some popular headlines were cooking stories featuring Thanksgiving food staples. Chef, food writer and TV host Samin Nosrat published a primer on how to adjust her famous buttermilk-brined roast chicken recipe for a turkey dish, and pastry chefs shared best practices for the perfect apple pie.
Rounding out the list, Trader Joe’s provided insights on how the food retailer has curbed the spread of coronavirus among its workers during the pandemic. Wegmans also detailed the best practices that the grocery chain has adopted as a result of the pandemic and promised to continue using these protocols during the holiday shopping season.
Check out the complete list of this week’s top 10 most-clicked stories in SmartBrief's food and beverage briefs:
- How the pandemic is affecting Nestle's portfolio strategy
- Wegmans uses pandemic lessons to keep shoppers safer
- McDonald's to put plant-based burger on its menu in 2021
- CEO: Beyond Meat plans expansion efforts
- How Trader Joe's has kept coronavirus infections low
- Hershey CEO: Strong Q3 due to proactive pandemic efforts
- How Hershey boosts product appeal in C-stores
- A mix of apples add up to the perfect apple pie
- Samin Nosrat adapts her popular chicken recipe for turkey
- Red Robin permanently shutters 5 locations
- How the pandemic is shaping home cooking trends
- How food halls are equipped to weather COVID-19
- Restaurants invest in tech tools to increase safety during the pandemic and beyond
If you enjoyed this article, you can sign up for Consumer Brands SmartBrief or Restaurant SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox. For even more great news content, sign up for any of SmartBrief’s 275+ free email newsletters today, free