Top 10: Pringles’ new packaging, Coca-Cola’s recovery plan and Kroger’s e-commerce success
Kellogg’s debut of a new look for Pringles’ packaging was this week’s most clicked story. The new cans include a streamlined look for the Pringles mascot, and illustrations that depict the elements of each chip flavor. Coca-Cola also made headlines this week with its five-point plan to recover from pandemic-related setbacks. The company will scale innovation, advance brand building, move as much as 75% of its field resources to front-line activities, amass platform services and utilize data-based strategies, CFO John Murphy said.
In grocery retail news, Kroger grabbed SmartBrief readers’ attention twice this past week. A survey compiled by 24/7 Wall St. found that the chain is among the grocers that have risen to the top as customer favorites during the pandemic. The retailer also appeared on eMarketer's annual list of Top 10 US Retail E-Commerce Companies, coming in at No. 9. Amazon, Walmart, Target and Costco also made the list, but Kroger was the only retailer focused solely on grocery to be featured, likely due to the rise in grocery e-commerce during the pandemic.
Foodservice industry readers showed interest in a story about President-elect Joe Biden voicing support for federal guarantees to help restaurants amid the pandemic. "You should be in a position where you can have all that ventilation changed, all the dividers put up, all the social distancing that you need, and make sure that your staff is safe as well, both indoors and out," Biden told a virtual panel of restaurateurs. The National Restaurant Association increased its efforts to secure federal funding for restaurants with a Dec. 7 letter to Congress outlining survey results that show the devastating impact the pandemic has had on the industry.
Check out the complete list of this week’s top 10 most-clicked stories in SmartBrief's food and beverage briefs:
- Pringles' new packaging presents streamlined look
- Biden backs guarantees to help struggling restaurants
- Albertsons CEO cites 4 key pillars for grocer's success
- Va. district distributes weekly grocery kits
- Coca-Cola's 5-step recovery plan
- Survey: Kroger, Publix get most attention from shoppers
- Dollar General plans to open 1,050 new stores in 2021
- USDA seeks nutrition flexibility for school meals
- This technique yields latkes with perfect mix of textures
- Kroger is only pure grocer to crack e-commerce Top 10
- Grocers innovate to make life easier for home cooks
- How are consumer drinking habits affecting restaurants, grocers?
- How businesses are feeding the cravings of the comfort- and convenience-centric consumer
If you enjoyed this article, you can sign up for Consumer Brands SmartBrief, FMI dailyLead or Restaurant SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox. For even more great news content, sign up for any of SmartBrief’s 275+ free email newsletters today, free.