Top 10: 2021 food and beverage trends and Trader Joe’s expands D&I efforts
The top news on this week’s rankings of SmartBrief food and beverage stories was an examination of what consumers will be looking for from food and beverages in 2021 and how consumer packaged goods manufacturers are adjusting to these trends. Grocery shoppers will continue to seek plant-based and functional products to address health concerns, and CPG companies will focus on streamlining portfolios to ensure robust, reliable supply chains.
Food trends stories continued to prove popular with Hormel Foods’ predictions for 2021 also appearing on the list. While at-home cooking will still be necessary this year, the CPG company forecasts that consumers will be looking for things such as easier meal preparation, large-batch cooking and convenient snack foods.
The No. 3 item this week was several CPG brands’ inclusion on Newsweek's Most Responsible Companies 2021 list, which annually ranks businesses based on corporate social responsibility categories. The Top 100 included General Mills, Procter & Gamble, Tyson Foods, Clorox, Keurig Dr Pepper, Campbell Soup and Kimberly-Clark.
CPG product launches also drew in readers this week. Unilever revealed a substantial lineup of new ice cream offerings from several of its brands, and Danone will release new Oikos Pro yogurt cups and drinks this month.
The lone food retail item in the top 10 was Trader Joe’s growth of the company’s diversity and inclusion programs. The grocery chain has committed to reserving at least 15% of its shelf space for Black-owned businesses in a recent report.
In foodservice news, Pizza Hut is marking 25 years of offering stuffed-crust pizzas on the menu. To celebrate the anniversary, the pizza restaurant chain introduced the “Nothing But Stuffed Crust” item for a limited time in its Dallas and Los Angeles markets earlier this week.
Check out the complete list of this week’s top 10 most-clicked stories in SmartBrief's food and beverage briefs:
- What's in store for grocery trends this year?
- Save A Lot sells 51 Fla. stores as transition continues
- CPG firms featured on Newsweek's "Most Responsible" list
- Unilever readies bevy of ice cream debuts
- Danone to launch high-protein dairy drinks
- Hormel predicts 2021 home meal trends
- Brisket is key to NYC pitmaster's kosher barbecue
- Sources: Chocolate maker Hu to be bought by Mondelez
- Trader Joe's ramps up diversity, inclusion programs
- Pizza Hut celebrates 25 years of stuffed crust
- Restaurants, food brands find a partner in Veganuary
- COVID-19 and the New Modern Convenience
- 2021 will bring continuing focus on wellness, flexitarian diets, and ways to make dining out safe and memorable
If you enjoyed this article, you can sign up for Consumer Brands SmartBrief, FMI dailyLead or Restaurant SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox. For even more great news content, sign up for any of SmartBrief’s 275+ free email newsletters today, free