Top 10: Free school meals, sustainability goals, Reese’s-themed makeup
This week’s 10 most popular stories spanned a variety of topics across the foodservice and CPG categories.
The topic of free school meals were the top two most-read stories this week as President Joe Biden's administration announced that USDA waivers, which were set to expire in September for schools to serve free meals to all students, will be extended through the 2021-22 school year, and US lawmakers introduced the Summer Meals Act, which would expand eligibility for the USDA's Summer Food Service Program and improve access to free school meals in rural and underserved areas.
The next two most popular stories were culinary highlights, both focused on doughy tips and recipes.
In CPG, PepsiCo announced its sweeping Positive Agriculture initiative, which aims to decrease greenhouse gas emissions by 3 million tons by 2030 and improve the lives of more than 250,000 people working and living across its global supply chain. The program includes sustainably sourcing 100% of key ingredients by expanding its regenerative agriculture acres to 7 million, which is roughly equal to its existing global agriculture footprint.
News about a Reese's-themed makeup collection also proved popular -- individual items will feature candy-wrapper-style packaging and a Reese's scent -- as did news about Kellogg’s Together With Pride cereal launching next month in preparation for Pride Month in June, with each purchase resulting in a $3 donation to LGBTQ+ advocacy group GLAAD. The cereal features multicolored heart-shaped pieces dusted with edible glitter and several of Kellogg's cereal mascots on the box.
Check out the complete list of the top 10 most-read stories in SmartBrief Food & Beverage briefs from the past week.
- Free school meal waivers to remain through 2022
- Summer Meals Act would expand eligibility
- Yeasted bing have crispy crust and soft, steamy center
- Hot water can be a key ingredient in smooth, sturdy doughs
- PepsiCo rolls out ambitious sustainability program
- Survey: Dining demand up, but pandemic-era habits endure
- Reese's partners with beauty brand on makeup collection
- Kellogg's cereal to celebrate Pride Month
- Chick-fil-A to deliver via robots in Calif. test
- Tetra Pak debuts new cheese production solutions
- Datassential: Subscription models shined in 2020, will see further growth
- Branding lessons from top food and beverage companies
- What role will robots play in the future of food delivery?
If you enjoyed this article, you can sign up for the FMI dailyLead, ProChef SmartBrief or Restaurant SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox. For even more great news content, sign up for any of SmartBrief’s 275+ free email newsletters today, free.