Top 10: A gourmet Golden Oreo, sweet potato cheesecake and modified packaging for Entenmann's
SmartBrief food and beverage readers had a sweet tooth this week, with several of the most clicked stories focusing on baked goods and desserts. Baked goods brand Entenmann's announced that it will temporarily modify its packaging due to supply chain disruptions caused by Hurricane Ida. The brand, which is owned by Bimbo Bakeries USA, will stop using packaging with clear cellophane panels and will shift to clear clamshell packaging for its Danish pastry line until the issue can be resolved. Mondelez also made news this week with its partnership with cookie retailer Crumbl Cookies on a cookie made with Golden Oreo pieces and topped with a mini Golden Oreo cookie. Rounding out this week’s top 10 was another sweet story featuring a recipe that puts a fall twist on Basque cheesecake with the addition of sweet potato and warm spices.
Food retail news also grabbed readers’ attention this week. C-suite adjustments at Walmart -- including Chris Nicholas’ move from chief financial officer of Walmart US to the role of chief operating officer -- were the subject of this week’s most clicked story. Grocery retailer Raley's made headlines with its plan to buy Bashas' Family of Stores, and Kroger released a report from its data science division that predicts the prevalence of omnichannel shopping will continue to grow.
In restaurant news, San Francisco-based investment firm Meritage Group bought a majority stake in Chicago pizza chain Lou Malnati’s, and Firehouse CEO Don Fox reflected on how the pandemic has changed the future of fast-casual restaurants.
Check out the full list of this week’s top 10 most-clicked stories in SmartBrief's food and beverage briefs:
- Walmart shuffles C-suite executives
- Raley's enters deal to acquire Bashas'
- Investors buy Chicago-based pizza chain Lou Malnati's
- Entenmann's changes packaging to keep products in stock
- Kroger's data arm tracks emergence of hybrid shoppers
- Scott Conant's new book showcases home-cooked meals
- Mondelez, cookie retailer unveil gourmet Golden Oreo
- Calif. law aims to keep nonrecyclable items out of bins
- Firehouse CEO on the evolution of fast-casual concepts
- Sweet potato gives Basque cheesecake a seasonal update
- Private brands up the ante to drive differentiation, retailer trust
- Grocers embrace robotics, automated systems
- Fancy Food 24/7: How the pandemic has flavored food trends
If you liked this article, sign up for SmartBrief’s free email newsletter from the National Restaurant Association. It’s among SmartBrief's more than 250 industry-focused newsletters.