Food Retail
Top stories summarized by our editors
11/16/2018

A lengthy hailstorm has done $200 million or more in damage to Chile's fruit farms, according to Chile's Federation of Fruit Producers. The crops include blueberries, cherries, grapes and kiwifruit.

11/16/2018

Demand for greenhouse-grown herbs and other greens is expected to rise during the holidays, said John Bonner of Ohio-based Great Lakes Growers. The company is building 80,000 square feet of additional greenhouse space to meet growing demand, he said.

More Summaries:
Great Lakes Growers
11/16/2018

Citrus fruit is in increasing demand as the holidays approach and consumers seek sources of vitamin C to ward off winter colds, industry executives said. Varieties including Cuties clementines and navels are on the market now and specialty fruits including Cara Caras from Sun Pacific will hit next month.

Full Story:
AndNowUKnow
More Summaries:
Cara Caras, Sun Pacific
11/16/2018

The Agriculture Department has paid $837.8 million of the $12 billion pledged to farmers who have been affected by new Chinese tariffs on US goods. The aid package covers crops including soybeans, sorghum, corn and wheat.

Full Story:
Reuters
More Summaries:
Agriculture Department, USDA
11/15/2018

Ahold Delhaize is looking to add more properties to its grocery portfolio in the US, according to quotes from CEO Frans Muller in a Dutch newspaper. The company currently operates such banners as Stop & Shop and Giant Food in the US market.

Full Story:
Reuters
More Summaries:
Frans Muller, Stop & Shop, Giant Food
11/15/2018

Stop & Shop is highlighting the efficiency of its in-store fulfillment centers, which speed the compilation of orders. The centers can be added to existing stores in a few months, concentrating 90% of the items sold online together for easier fulfillments.

Full Story:
Progressive Grocer
More Summaries:
Stop & Shop
11/15/2018

The number of shoppers buying grocery items online for Thanksgiving this year is expected to more than double, reaching 44% of consumers, according to Digital Grocery Survey: 2018 Holiday Edition from RichRelevence. The top reason for shopping online was convenience, cited by 73% of respondents.

Full Story:
Progressive Grocer
11/15/2018

Korea's CJ CheilJedang will acquire an 80% stake in Schwan's for $1.8 billion, and the Schwan family will retain the remaining 20%. The company's portfolio includes such brands as Freschetta, Red Baron, Mrs. Smith's and Edwards.

11/15/2018

Coca-Cola's Chief Digital Officer David Godsman has outlined three ways the company is transforming itself to engage with consumers in a digital world. The firm aims to develop personalized experiences, digitize with its customers and use technology to make the company more efficient on a daily basis, he said.

More Summaries:
Coca-Cola, David Godsman
11/15/2018

Sales of cookies, tortillas and fresh bakery cakes led dollar sales growth in the bakery category over the past year, said IRI's Sally Lyons Wyatt. Categories that saw dollar and unit sales fall during the period were pastry donuts and crackers, she said.

Full Story:
Baking Business
More Summaries:
IRI, Sally Lyons Wyatt