This week’s most-read news highlighted something sweet -- and non-pandemic-related: a list of favorite candy by state, compiled in honor of June serving as National Candy Month. Florida loves Skittles while Kansas and Kentucky opt for Snickers and Swedish Fish, respectively, according to CandyStore.com.
The bulk of the Top 10 covered equal parts CPG news and food retail news, with one foodservice story taking the No. 2 spot -- news of Milwaukee, New York City and Los Angeles giving little or no warning when they lifted closure rules and allowed restaurants and bars to reopen. In Milwaukee, the announcement came after 8,000 people signed a petition pushing for reopening, but some restaurateurs in the city worry that the guidelines in place might not be enough to keep customers and employees safe.
News of Buitoni being divested from Nestle North America in a deal reportedly valued at $115 million rounded out the top 3. Nestle will continue to sell pizza and chilled dough under the Buitoni brand name in Europe and other markets outside of North America, according to a Nestle spokesperson.
In popular retail news, Southeastern Grocers, which this week announced the sale of 46 Bi-Lo and 16 Harveys stores to Food Lion, will continue its planned phase-out of the Bi-Lo banner by selling pharmacy files from Bi-Lo and Harveys to Walgreens and CVS during the next two weeks. Walmart, Kroger and Instacart also made the top 10.
Check out the complete list of most-read stories in food and beverage:
- What's the most popular candy in each state?
- Some cities suddenly lift restaurant closure orders
- Nestle to divest Buitoni pasta brand
- Products launch from Bang, Sweet Baby Ray's, Swerve
- Southeastern Grocers outlines transformation strategy
- FDA sends CBD guidance to the White House
- Kraft Heinz driving change with consumer-centric focus
- Instacart regains lead in online grocery
- How Walmart's pandemic response showcased its strengths
- Kroger teams with Ocado on 3 more fulfillment centers
- What’s next for third-party delivery services?
- As secondary brands surge, CPG leaders need a digital playbook
- Cultural background’s influence on how we eat
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for Consumer Brands SmartBrief or Restaurant SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox, or check out all of SmartBrief’s food and travel newsletters as we offer more than 30 newsletters covering the food and travel industries from restaurants, food retail and food manufacturing to business travel, the airline and hotel industries and gaming.