After rolling out its Oui yogurt brand last month, news of General Mills debuting a series of other new products was the most-read story in SmartBrief’s Food & Beverage briefs this week. The new products included over 20 Nature Valley items, an organic Progresso soup line and two types of Pillsbury pizza dough. The company is also rolling out a cereal campaign under its Big G label with the tagline “Good Starts with G,” which will include digital and television advertising components, said CEO Jeff Harmening.
Also in the top five were stories on Halo Top’s success, with the better-for-you ice cream brand bringing in $132.4 million selling 28.8 million pints last year, according to IRI, and Nestle aiming its strategic focus on four key areas where it sees the potential for growth: Bottled water, coffee, infant nutrition and pet care.
News of Danone’s decision to sell its Stonyfield line to French dairy company Lactalis for $875 million also proved popular – the decision was made in order to satisfy an antitrust agreement made with the US Department of Justice after the company acquired WhiteWave earlier this year.
Check out the rest of the top 10 stories this week, which include two stories involving Oreos, as well as stories about McCormick’s success on Amazon, Hershey’s new packaging and some food retail news:
- General Mills to launch new Progresso, Pillsbury, Nature Valley products
- Behind Halo Top’s rise in the ice cream category
- Nestle focuses on 4 key business units, including bottled water, coffee
- Lactalis acquires Stonyfield in $875M deal
- McCormick nears triple-digit sales growth in e-commerce channel
- Oreo produces micro batches of experimental flavors for fans
- Dunkin’ Donuts Mocha Oreos hit store shelves
- Kroger CEO: Amazon, Whole Foods deal is a “good fit”
- SpartanNash CFO to step down
- Hershey makes better use of confection-aisle real estate with stand-up packaging
If you enjoyed this article, join SmartBrief’s email list for more stories about the food and beverage industry. We offer 20 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food manufacturing.