The shifting environment of the consumer package goods industry took center stage this week, with food and beverage readers delving into stories about brands‘ business moves, growth of private-label products in the natural category and the view of the food business from the chief executive chair. Snyder’s-Lance‘s purchase of Diamond Foods and Treehouse Foods‘ purchase of ConAgra‘s private label business were the two most-clicked stories in our food and beverage newsletters this week, while Campbell CEO Denise Morrison’s take on the biggest shifts in the business and the dominance of Kroger‘s private-label products in the natural foods aisle were also of interest.
Culinary trends also captured readers’ attention this week, as chefs explored the savory side of the puffed pancake called a Dutch baby and found a new niche for ranch dressing by pairing it with upscale ingredients. The many Peruvian preparations of potatoes was also on the menu for SmartBrief readers this week.
Check out the full list of this week’s 10 most-clicked stories:
- Snyder’s-Lance makes $1.91B deal to buy Diamond Foods
- Treehouse Foods makes $2.7B deal for ConAgra private-label business
- Campbell CEO outlines 4 shifts that are changing the food business
- How Kroger’s private label rose to the top in natural foods
- J.M. Smucker to sell US canned milk business
- The Dutch baby breaks out of breakfast
- Ranch dressing makes an upscale comeback rooted in nostalgia
- Peruvian chef prepares potatoes in a plethora of ways
- Jimmy John’s founder ponders IPO pros and cons
- Pinnacle Foods to expand plant-based protein operations with new facility
If you enjoyed this article, join SmartBrief’s email list for more stories about the food and beverage industry. We offer 14 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food manufacturing.