Restaurant stories proved popular with food and beverage readers this week, starting with an account of a new format for Chuck E. Cheese that rolled out near San Antonio, Texas. The revamped layout includes a lighted dance floor and an open kitchen where kids and adults alike can watch the pizza being made.
Two Applebee’s stories made the top 10 list, starting with the casual chain’s plan to shift back from courting wealthy millennials to a focus on core customers who were disappointed when Applebee’s did away with meal deals. Also on the list – DineEquity, the parent of Applebee’s and IHOP, named Stephen Joyce as its new CEO.
CPG food brands also ranked with readers, including ramped up innovation efforts at Kraft Heinz. The company doubled innovation over the past year and will continue to invest to stay ahead of consumer trends, the company said. Another trend story also grabbed readers’ attention – clean-label meat and poultry is becoming more mainstream and products from Perdue and Tyson are now featured in Whole Foods stores.
Read the entire top 10:
- Chuck E. Cheese unveils new look at Texas restaurant
- Applebee’s will return to its roots to woo core customers
- Chili’s to slim down menu, focus on premium dishes
- Kraft Heinz doubled innovation output over past year, exec says
- Chains change up promotions as chicken wing prices soar
- Some Whole Foods meat sourced from Perdue, Tyson
- Taco Bell tucks breakfast into a fried-egg taco shell
- Oil poaching yields tender, flavorful fish
- Applebee’s, IHOP parent picks new CEO, plans unit closures
- Doritos debuts new take on Blazin’ Buffalo
If you enjoyed this article, join SmartBrief’s email list for more stories about the food and beverage industry. We offer 20 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food manufacturing.