Millennials are the hot demographic everyone wants to connect with, so it’s no surprise the most-read story among SmartBrief’s food and beverage readers this week was a tale by Healthy Dining President Anita Jones-Mueller about the generation’s influence on healthy dining trends. Gen Y’s healthy eaters are seeking flavorful, sustainable whole foods including fresh fruits and vegetables. They’re also spending more at restaurants, she writes, a trend that can help eateries shape new menus.
Other restaurant stories that proved popular this week included Pei Wei Asian Diner’s growth — the Arizona-based fast-casual chain opened 12 new eateries last year and is aiming to add another 15 in 2016, and it’s tweaking the menu and restaurant design as it goes. Chef Grant Achatz’ plans for a revamped Alinea also caught the interest of readers, and a story about the growing popularity of hot chicken also made the top five.
Retail and consumer packaged food stories also landed on the top 10 list, starting with Target’s ambitious plans to revamp its grocery offerings, which landed in the number 2 spot.
Check out the entire top 10 list:
- Millennials will determine next healthy eating trends
- Target aims for growth after changes to grocery selections
- Pei Wei Asian Diner details growth plans
- New Alinea opens with a focus on keeping things simple
- Hot chicken is hot right now
- Kraft Heinz partners with mobile shopping firm Fetch Rewards
- A meeting with McCormick’s flavor-makers
- Snacks increasingly replace a full breakfast, report says
- How Ahold USA optimizes customer data
- Campbell’s phases out K-Cup soup line
If you enjoyed this article, join SmartBrief’s email list for more stories about the food and beverage industry. We offer 14 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food manufacturing.