The announcement that Kraft Heinz will launch a business unit called Springboard to develop what the company describes as “disruptive” food and beverage brands was the most popular story among food and beverage readers this week. “We are actively searching for emergent, authentic brands that can expand into new categories, and [we] are looking to build a network of founders to help shape the future of foods and beverages,” said Sergio Eleuterio, Springboard’s general manager.
New CPG product launches were also popular this week, with news that General Mills, Hain Celestial and PepsiCo would be launching new products and snack lines. In retail news, the announcement that Walmart will expand its home grocery delivery to more than 100 markets, or 40% of all US households, also caught readers’ attention.
On the restaurant side, readers were interested in news that Lettuce Entertain You will be opening a 35,000-square-foot, four-story space along the Chicago River that will include two restaurants and an event space. One of the restaurants, a seafood concept called RPM On The Water, will fill two floors and have outdoor seating for 100.
Here’s the full list of this week’s 10 most popular food and beverage stories from SmartBrief:
1. Kraft Heinz launches business unit to foster “disruptive” food, beverage brands
2. General Mills, Hain Celestial among brands rolling out new products
3. PepsiCo unveils new snack line
4. Kraft Heinz revamps Boca Burger
5. Walmart readies for major grocery delivery expansion
6. Lettuce Entertain You to add restaurants on the Chicago River
7. PepsiCo debuts 2 new Tropicana product lines
8. Costco extending tax savings to employees, customers
9. Mars launches $100M venture fund to invest in pet care firms
10. Instacart patent shows consideration of quick checkout system
If you enjoyed this article, join SmartBrief’s email list for more stories about the food and beverage industry. We offer 20 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food manufacturing. And be sure to follow us on Twitter for the latest industry news.