Every week, Restaurant SmartBrief editors scour the Internet for the breaking news and best-practices stories that restaurant owners and managers need to make their businesses smarter. However, every week, hundreds of fascinating food, beverage and restaurant stories don’t make the cut. Here are a few of my favorite stories from the past week that didn’t make the newsletter:
- Three chefs have now added shoe designer to their resumes, according to this report. A slip-resistant footwear line called Sharkz will show the signature designs from Chris Cosentino, Marcus Samuelsson and Aaron Sanchez.
- The Easy-Bake Oven will live on despite the ban on its original incandescent light bulbs. The manufacturer released this statement: “Hasbro will launch the Easy Bake Ultimate Oven, introducing a new way to bake for the next generation of chefs,” as reported at ChicagoBreakingBusiness.com.
- Mark Bittman writes in the opinion pages of The New York Times how food marketers have been abusing oatmeal for more than 40 years.
- In this Q-and-A, chef Grant Achatz mulls over which actor would play him and his mentor, Thomas Keller, in a feature film based on the book, “Life, on the Line.”
- Garbanzo Mediterranean Grill’s Facebook page is becoming a new hangout for customers who share weight-loss stories and tips, as well as encouragement for maintaining the Mediterranean diet.
What was your favorite food story of the week? Tell us in the comments.
Photo credit: robynmac via iStockphoto