This week’s most-read news spread across food retail, CPG and foodservice, but CPG stories took the top spots with Kraft Heinz announcing Miguel Patricio, is a veteran of beverage firm AB InBev, as its new CEO, effective July 1, being this week’s most popular news story.
Hershey came in second with its news of something new as well — its first permanent Kit Kat flavor in almost 10 years with the introduction of Kit Kat Duos. The candies, which feature wafers coated in mint creme and dark chocolate, will hit shelves in December.
Other large CPG players that made most-read headlines included Nestle and Starbucks, which are partnering to launch Starbucks by Nespresso, a line of beverage capsules for the Nespresso machine. P&G made news for its comments on the growth of direct-to-consumer, and Beyond Meat said it expects a valuation of about $1.2 billion when its shares start trading publicly on the Nasdaq.
The one food retailer that made this week’s list was Wegmans for its plans to expand into North Carolina, and the lone foodservice company on the list was McDonald’s for news about the possibility that customers in the US could get a taste of menu items that are popular at the chain’s restaurants in other countries, according to internal company documents.
Read the entire Top 10:
- Kraft Heinz names Patricio CEO as Hees steps down
- Hershey adds new Kit Kat flavor to permanent lineup
- Starbucks by Nespresso to debut next month
- P&G CFO: Direct-to-consumer category is “very quickly growing”
- Beyond Meat gears up for public stock offering
- Wegmans plans expansion into N.C.
- PepsiCo debuts beverage dispensing system
- McDonald’s to test global favorites on US menus
- How Kellogg’s CEO developed the Deploy for Growth strategy
- Constellation shutters 2 Ballast Point locations
- A new wave of plant-based food makers is focused on fish
- How retail positioning helps boost CPG sales
- Think you don’t need to worry about product packaging? Think again
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for GMA SmartBrief, or Restaurant SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox, or check out all of SmartBrief’s food and travel newsletters as we offer more than 30 newsletters covering the food and travel industries from restaurants, food retail and food manufacturing to business travel, the airline and hotel industries and gaming.